UPDATE: Amazon Prime Day for 2018 is now over. I’ll be updating this post again in 2019 with new deals.
Amazon Prime Day is today, Monday, July 16th! That means if you’ve been waiting to buy something for your traveling lifestyle, now is the time. Prime Day is a huge sale at Amazon – bigger than Black Friday – where up to 1 million items are up for grabs at a discounted price. Not all the items are on sale at the same time, and some quickly sell out.
The only catch is you have to be an Amazon Prime member to get these deals, but the good news is this: You can sign up for a 30-day FREE TRIAL of Amazon Prime, and cancel within those 30-days to avoid the fee.
It is possible to see what’s going on sale in advance, and I looked and found a bunch of items that are great for travelers. I’ll be browsing these items on Prime Day and maybe you’ll find some deals, too!
I’ll be updating this page throughout Amazon Prime Day to make sure the latest deals are available and listed for you, and I’ll strike out items that are no longer available for a Prime Day deal. There is some good stuff here – I have my eye on an inverter for my new van.
These items go on sale at different times – so if you click a link and it doesn’t look like its on sale yet – check again in an hour.
Another thing you can do is click “Watch this Deal” and you’ll get an alert when it goes on sale.
My favorite Amazon deals
- Kindle Paperwhite. I use the Kindle Paperwhite with the built-in light. It’s great because I can read in bed while Tom is sleeping and he never wakes up. This is one of the best deals on a Paperwhite I’ve seen. Mine was over $100!
Equipment for your van or RV
3500 watt RV ready generator– perfect for boondocking!
- 2200-watt portable generator
Portable Power station
- Inverter for charging your devices on the road
- 750-watt power inverter with alligator clips
- Potek 500 watt power inverter
- Solar charged power bank
- 5-watt portable solar panel with USB port
24-watt solar charger with triple USB ports
- Schumacher XI75DU 750 Watt DC to AC Digital Display Power Inverter
- Battery tender solar charger
Portable car jump starter
- Auto wastebasket to keep your van clean
- Microfiber towel
- 3-layer car mesh organizer
- Travel Trailer RV cover
Camping and outdoor equipment
- Camping chair
- Camping LED lantern (great for boondocking)
- Single and double camping hammocks
Camping cookware mess kit (great for a small van!)
- Portable tabletop grill
- Coleman roadtrip grill
- Lifestraw personal water filter (we have one and love it!)
- Pelican Elite 20 quart cooler
- YETI hopper two portable cooler
Items to help you build out a campervan
- 1800 watt portable induction stove
- Van interior light kit
- Electric mini-fridge cooler and warmer that has AC to DC adapter
- Modway tri-fold mattress
- Packable camping blanket and comforter
Kitchen items for a van, RV or sailboat
- Stainless steel coffee kettle
12.5 inch pre-seasoned cast iron skillet – perfect for cooking over the fire!
- Sous Vides Precision Cooker. I am so tempted to buy this but not sure how well it would work on a sailboat. My brother and cousin both use this hot water cooking method and say it makes chicken breasts and steak amazing. I’d buy it if I had an RV kitchen for sure.
- Food storage containers
- 6-quart premium multi-cooker (pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer)
Plastic cutting board mats(I use these religiously on the sailboat – super easy to store and clean) 50-oz French Press coffee maker
Items for the sailboat life
Note that you have to sign up for Amazon Prime to grab these deals, but you can do a free trial and only pay after 30-days if you really love the service. Cancel at any time in those 30-days. I am not a Prime member now, but I was for one year while I prepared for a thru-hike on the John Muir Trail. I loved the free 2-day shipping, the large library of downloadable music, and a bunch of free TV shows and movies.
Tip: I suggest you Watch Deals that are interesting to you through the Amazon app. Scroll down to Today’s Deals, and then you can Watch Deals and get alerts on the ones you’re interested in.
Good luck shopping and let me know which awesome deals you score today!
How to work remotely FREE email course!
Ditch your desk job and work from anywhere with my free 5-day course. You'll learn about the top remote work jobs, online skills you need, and what employers are looking for.
Kristin Hanes is a journalist who founded The Wayward Home as a place to learn about alternative living. She currently lives on a sailboat and in a Chevy Astro van, and has written articles about alternative living published in Good Housekeeping, Business Insider, Marie Claire and SF Gate. Read more about Kristin here.