There’s a few different routes you can go when building a campervan. You can do a DIY campervan build entirely on your own, which is the cheapest. A campervan conversion kit is where you buy bits and pieces of a van build and install them yourself. Or you can get a full custom build, the most expensive option.
If you are building your own van, we highly recommend this detailed 378-page van build guide:
- A 378-page step-by-step guide to building out a campervan.
- Learn about the six major interior design considerations that lead to 13 secondary features in your design
- RV plumbing: pipes, fittings, tanks, pumps, water heaters, toilets
- Advice on choosing solar panels
- How to install blackwater, greywater and freshwater tanks in a campervan
- Fifty pages of information on designing an electrical system and wiring your campervan conversion
Building your own campervan can be rewarding and challenging all at once. Here are our favorite posts about doing a DIY van build. Be sure to check out the Sprinter Van Conversion Sourcebook (which can be applied to any van) for detailed help.
Campervan Conversion Kits
A campervan conversion kit is a cool hybrid between a DIY build and a custom conversion. You order the parts – either a bed, a kitchen, insulation, or a combination, and install it yourself. This is much cheaper than a custom conversion and easier than DIY.
Just Getting Started with Van Life?
Van Custom Build Ideas
A custom build is the most expensive way to start living the van life. In return, you’ll get a gorgeous van complete with all the amenities you could possibly dream of. Browse these posts to see your options with a custom build.