Ride along on a thrilling seven-month bikepacking journey across Europe, guided by our adventurous guest, Tobias Renggli, a 19-year-old Swiss university student. Toby’s nomadic living took him through 44 countries, covering an average of 200 kilometers per day, as he sought to visit each nation’s capital and highest mountain.
Dodging wild dogs and navigating foreign terrains, Toby’s epic adventure will have you gripping the edge of your seat. You’ll hear about nights spent under the stars, unexpected friendships with fellow cyclists, and even a suspenseful run-in with the law at the Belarus border.
From the highlands of Scotland to the sunny shores of Italy, Toby’s stories are a testament to the spirit of exploration. He offers practical advice for those considering a similar trip, from finding places to shower and sleep to dealing with unforeseen challenges.
Not only will you hear about his breathtaking bikepacking adventures, but you’ll also gain insights into the unfiltered reality of nomadic living, as Toby shares his encounters with individuals from different walks of life and cultures across Europe. The captivating tales from Toby’s bikepacking odyssey promise to inspire your own dreams of adventure. Let’s hit the road!
Follow Tobias Renggli:
Give the episode a listen:
Subscribe to The Wayward Home Podcast here:
What We Discuss in Episode 44 of The Wayward Home Podcast:
- Tobias explains why he chose bikepacking over other methods of travel, highlighting the affordability and the unique experience of traveling by bike.
- Toby talks about his goal of visiting the capital city and climbing the highest mountain in every country in Europe.
- We learn about the logistics of Toby’s adventure: equipment, sleeping arrangements, meals, water, and navigation.
- Toby talks about the advantages and disadvantages of bikepacking, including the physical challenges, sleeping arrangements, and the satisfaction of traveling under one’s own power.
- We explore why bikepacking is more popular in Europe, citing factors such as shorter distances between cities, diverse landscapes, and the potential for boredom when cycling long distances in the US.
About Tobias Renggli:
Tobias Renggli is a 20-year-old university student, athlete, adventurer, and speaker who embarked on a 7 month bikepacking trip, cycling through 44 European countries, climbing the highest mountains and visiting the capital city in each country. Follow Toby on Instagram @tobiasrenggli.