Hi, I’m Kristin Hanes! Founder of The Wayward Home.
I’m a former radio news reporter turned blogger who splits my time between a Chevy Astro campervan and a CT-41 ketch sailboat with my partner, Tom. Before that, we crammed ourselves into a Toyota Prius in San Francisco to save money on rent and learn how to live with less.
At first, it wasn’t easy. When we lived in the Prius, I didn’t know anyone else who lived in a car. I didn’t know where to go for support and camaraderie. I was afraid to tell people I was “houseless,” and worried it would impact my job.
But over the years, simple living has become more of a “thing”. One reason I started this website was to bring all of us together and get rid of the stigma of not owning a traditional home.
I want to help you figure out how to live in a tinier home, whether that’s with #vanlife, an RV, a sailboat or a tiny house.
If you’re facing a mountain of stuff and need to downsize, if you’re concerned about remote work, or if you just want to find a place with like-minded people, The Wayward Home is for you.
Want to learn more about me in video format? A local San Francisco TV station, KPIX, put together this report on me and The Wayward Home:
What type of tiny living most appeals to you?
There’s no one size fits all approach to going tiny. Some people want to camp off-grid in a van, others want to sail to remote places on a sailboat.
Others, like me, want a combination of tiny homes! My next dream is a tiny cabin on a piece of property.
Whatever you’re interested in, we have articles about all different types of lifestyles.
There’s van life…
- RV Living Tips
- Reviews on trailer campers
- RV gear and appliances guides
- Building out a schoolbus (skoolie) RV
Living on a boat…
And tiny homes…
I hope these articles give you a good starting point to figure out which dream tiny lifestyle is right for you!
Need help with remote work?
Remote work is one of the biggest concerns among my readers. That’s why I put together a free 5-day course on working remotely. You can sign up below:
The Wayward Home in the news:
Here’s where The Wayward Home’s been featured in the news:
- Nerdwallet: This woman lives on a boat to avoid Bay area rent
- The Coast News: In the sailboat lifestyle, adventure is always around the bend
- Discover.com: Friends always want to spend money? Banish FOMO with these tips
- The Huffington Post: This woman lived in a tent, a car and a boat to escape insane San Francisco rents
- The Lonely Planet: Living between a vintage yacht and a van taught this couple to love small spaces
- Marin Magazine: Locals Embrace Living the Van Life
- Fodors: We Predict 11 Ways Travel will Stay the Same as Before
- Fire Drill: Digital Nomading on a Sailboat
- Tiny House Lifestyle: How to Prepare for Boondocking and the Off-Grid Life
- This Girl Sails: Living Life on her Own Terms
Questions or concerns?
Write to me anytime at Kristin [a] thewaywardhome.com.
I look forward to assisting you on your tiny journey!