Have you ever thought to yourself…..
“I’m sick of being chained to a desk just to pay my mortgage and my bills, accumulating more and more stuff.”
“I want to break free from the rat race. I want to get rid of everything so I can spend more time in nature and with my loved ones.”
“I can’t wait to wake up every day somewhere beautiful, knowing I’m able to make enough money remotely to support my new, adventurous life.”
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Hi, I’m Kristin Hanes, former radio news reporter, founder of The Wayward Home. I help people just like you learn to live life on their own terms. A new version of the American Dream.
After spending the last few years living in a Toyota Prius, Chevy Astro van and a sailboat, I’ve learned exactly what it takes to downsize and make money remotely – and I want to help you do the same.
- Waking up every single day in your tiny home, out in nature. No house to clean, no bills to pay, no worries about making your mortgage payment on time.
- Spending your days doing whatever you want. Whether that’s biking, hiking, surfing or kayaking, the world is your oyster. You’re in charge of your own time.
- Making enough money remotely to not have to worry about how you’ll pay for gas, food or repairs.
Sound like your dream lifestyle? Yeah, it’s mine, too.
It’s okay to be scared to take this leap – I completely understand. But I hope that through The Wayward Home, you’ll find inspiration, encouragement, and friendship.
You can do this. I’m here to help you succeed. (Email me anytime! [email protected])
What you need to do next:
Sign up for my email list to get inspiring stories, tips and advice on living in campervans, RVs, sailboats and tiny homes:
Join my free Facebook group where you’ll forge new friendships: Free Facebook Group
If you want to learn how to work remotely right now, check out my online course: Remote Work for Nomads.
The Wayward Home in the news:
Here’s where The Wayward Home’s been featured in the news:
- Nerdwallet: This woman lives on a boat to avoid Bay area rent
- The Coast News: In the sailboat lifestyle, adventure is always around the bend
- Discover.com: Friends always want to spend money? Banish FOMO with these tips
- The Huffington Post: This woman lived in a tent, a car and a boat to escape insane San Francisco rents
- Fire Drill Podcast: Digital Nomading on a Sailboat
About Kristin HanesHello there, I’m Kristin Hanes. Before I started The Wayward Home, I was a radio news reporter for 15 years at radio stations in Portland, Seattle, Sacramento and San Francisco. I’ve met President Jimmy Carter, watched Air Force One land at SFO with President Barrack Obama, and covered countless protests and press conferences.
After I was suddenly laid off from KGO radio in 2016, I had to reinvent myself. I moved onto my boyfriend Tom’s sailboat and later bought a Chevy Astro van. I began freelance writing and also started The Wayward Home to help other people live simpler, more adventurous lives.
It’s become my mission to spread the word on alternative living. By living tiny, we can escape 9-5 jobs, live with less, and be more environmentally-friendly.
You can read articles I’ve written on alternative living here:
- Good Housekeeping: This single mom sold everything to give her son an epic education on the road
- Marie Claire: I became homeless on purpose
- Folk Rebellion: The nomadic families of the United States
- Far & Wide: How to plan a gap year traveling with your kids
- Realtor.com: How to live in a tiny house without breaking the law
- Business Insider: I moved out of my San Francisco apartment to live on a boat
Reach out to me anytime at [email protected]