Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to abandon traditional living arrangements and embrace life on the road – or sea? Tune in for a little taste of both as Kristin shares what it’s like to transition from winter on the boat to summer in the van. Learn about the process of taking the boat out of the water and preparing it to withstand the summer heat in Puerto Penasco, Mexico.
In the second segment of our journey, we hear about what it’s like to cross the border from Mexico to the US in a van (while contending with some mechanical troubles). From the long waits at the border crossings to the struggle of strategically transferring items in sweltering heat, every aspect of the adventure is covered. We also reflect on intriguing differences in food and grocery shopping experiences across the two countries.
Lastly, we debate the pros and cons of boat life compared to van life. Hold on tight as we delve into an in-depth comparison of these two unique lifestyles, from the effort of monitoring weather on a boat to the ease of accessing supplies in a van.
Give the episode a listen:
Subscribe to The Wayward Home Podcast here:
What We Discuss in Episode 42 of The Wayward Home Podcast:
- Kristin discusses her recent experience of transitioning between boat life and van life and the process of preparing her boat for storage in Puerto Penasco, Mexico, including tasks such as covering the boat, protecting it from UV damage, and removing food and personal items.
- Kristin details her last day in Puerto Penasco, including waking up early for final boat work, facing crowds and overheating problems at the border, and the decision to drive to the coast of Southern California to finally experience the relief of cooler temperatures and familiar surroundings.
- Kristin discusses the pros and cons of living on a boat and living in a van, including the difficulties of getting groceries and the slower travel pace while living on a sailboat versus the convenience and speed of traveling in a van compared to a sailboat.
- Kristin compares the living spaces and sense of community between a sailboat and a van, including the unique rapport among sailors.
- Kristin concludes that she appreciates the benefits of both lifestyles and the ability to switch between the two.