This summer is a perfect time to rent an RV or a campervan. With an RV rental, you can easily go way off-grid and stay far away from people.
If you’re looking to try out boondocking, or free camping on BLM or National Forest Service land, you’ll need to find an RV or campervan rental equipped with solar panels, batteries, a water tank and toilet with a holding tank.
Even in our tiny Chevy Astro van, we are able to go off-grid for up to a week at a time.
In these uncertain times, it’s good to plan a vacation where you can self-isolate in your own rig. No need to find public restrooms or use a campground water tap everyone is touching.
Check out this guide to learn more about finding free campsites: What is boondocking? How to score free campsites
Now here’s the good news (coupon code!)
The Wayward Home has partnered with peer-to-peer rental company Outdoorsy to give you $40 off any RV rental near you. Just use the coupon code “wayward40” to grab the deal.
To make things easier, you can easily search for an RV or campervan rental near you by using the below search box.
Want to learn more about Outdoorsy before you rent? Scroll down to read our FAQ.
RV Rentals Near You
An RV rental comes in a variety of shapes and sizes.
You can choose a larger RV, like a Class A or Class C, perfect for an entire family or if you want a little more space.
A campervan or Class B RV is more versatile and easier to drive, but make sure it has a self-contained bathroom. Some custom van builds don’t include a bathroom, so search carefully!
A truck camper rental is great for exploring overlanding routes, where you need a high clearance 4×4.
And you may consider a travel trailer if you prefer to leave the rig somewhere and explore in your tow vehicle. And there are travel trailer rentals small enough to be towed by a midsize car
Use the coupon code “wayward40” to get $40 off when you book.
How does it work to rent an RV on Outdoorsy?
Outdoorsy is a peer-to-per rental company, which connects renters with owners.
When you go to book an RV rental, a request will be sent to the owner, who will confirm and discuss details.
You and the owner will decide on pickup and drop-off times, which will vary depending on the owner’s schedule. Picking up and dropping off will require flexibility on both sides.
What’s cool about renting with a company like Outdoorsy instead of an RV rental company like Cruise America is that there are so many unique rental options.
You can choose between a vintage VW, a Jeep with a rooftop tent, or a traditional Class C RV.
When you go with a company like Cruise America you’ll only be offered a rig they own and have in stock, which is usually a more traditional-looking RV.
What are Outdoorsy’s insurance protection packages?
There are three different levels of insurance protection you can choose from when renting an RV with Outdoorsy.
Each level provides different comprehensive and collision coverage, liability coverage, and additional services.
Roadside Assistance is offered on all purchased Outdoorsy Protection Packages as a courtesy to our renters.
What is the RV rental cancellation policy?
It’s wise to read the owner’s cancellation policy wisely before you book. Owners can choose between three different types of policies, which will affect how much money you get back if you cancel.
The three different types of cancellation policies are Flexible, Moderate and Strict.
- Reservation deposit (25% of full trip cost) is refundable (minus fees) if canceled more than five days prior to booking start date
- If the renter has paid in full and the booking is canceled more than five days prior to booking start date, a full refund (minus fees) is issued
- If canceled less than five days prior to booking start date, a partial refund of 75 percent of the full rental amount (minus fees) is issued, but the reservation deposit is non-refundable.
- Reservation deposit (25% of full trip cost) is non-refundable
- If the renter has paid in full and the booking is canceled more than seven days prior to booking start date, a partial refund of 75 percent of the full rental amount (minus fees) is issued
- If canceled less than seven days prior to booking start date, a partial refund of 50% of the total rental amount (minus fees) is issued
- Reservation deposit (50% of full trip cost) is non-refundable
- If the renter has paid in full and the booking is canceled more than 14 days prior to booking start date, a partial refund of 50% of the full rental amount (minus fees) is issued
- If canceled and the renter has only paid the reservation deposit, no refund is issued
- If canceled less than 14 days prior to booking start date, no refund is issued
Renters must agree to the owner’s cancellation policy before booking.
Are the owners on Outdoorsy legit?
Just like renting a place on Airbnb, make sure you sift through reviews and ratings before you book an RV rental on Outdoorsy.
Do your due diligence.
As the owner any detailed questions and concerns you have about the particular RV rental.
If you show up to pick up your RV or campervan rental and something seems fishy or the vehicle isn’t safe to drive, take photos and contact Outdoorsy.
Ready to give an RV rental a try?
An RV or campervan rental is a great way to see the outdoors while also practicing social distancing.
Remember to use the coupon code wayward40 for $40 off your rental!