Campervan Insurance: The Best Insurance Options for Van Life

7756 shares Finding campervan insurance can be a tricky endeavor, and it’s a hot topic in van life Facebook groups and forums. People have many…

Finding campervan insurance can be a tricky endeavor, and it’s a hot topic in van life Facebook groups and forums. People have many questions, like, will my insurance cover the stuff I’m storing in my van? Will they cover a DIY campervan conversion? Will they cover my van if I live in it full-time?

Many van lifers have been through insurance nightmares with companies giving them the boot once they start a DIY conversion, or not covering claims.

In fact, Geico just dropped my Sprinter van in the summer of 2022 because we were doing a DIY conversion. They discovered we’d added Flarespace flares and a Flarespace bed to the van, and that was the last I saw of Geico. I had two months to find a new insurance provider.

Finding insurance for a Class B campervan like a Storyteller Overland or Winnebago Revel is way easier than insuring a DIY conversion or even sometimes a custom conversion.

In this post, I’ll tell you about all the options and what I chose for my 2021 Sprinter Van 4×4 2500, which we’re in the middle of turning into a camper.

Prefer to listen? Check out my podcast episode on campervan insurance:

How I’m Insuring My Sprinter Van Camper

Woman standing next to Sprinter van camper insured by Roamly
Me and my Sprinter van

When Geico gave me the boot, I frantically called around to various insurance companies and getting roadblock after roadblock. They didn’t like that my van didn’t stay in South Dakota, where it’s registered. They didn’t like that I stored it half the year in Yuma. They didn’t like that I was doing a DIY campervan conversion.

Finally, State Farm agreed to cover my van at the whopping price of $329 per month. I signed up, desperate to get insurance as the days ticked down to August 1st, when my plan with Gieco was slated to end. I hated having to pay so much money per month to insure my DIY campervan!

Why I Switched to Roamly for Campervan Insurance

Roamly is a new insurance company that’s insuring DIY and custom van builds. You can also get a policy that lets you rent out your van on sites like Outdoorsy.

In the beginning, Roamly only worked in three states, but has expanded a great deal in 2022. Now, you can get insurance on a DIY campervan conversion if you live in these states: OR, CA, AZ, UT, ID, CO, TX, OK, SD, MN, MO, WI, IL, IN, TN, AL, GA, NC, OH and PA.

I’d been waiting with bated breath for Roamly to start insuring vans based in South Dakota, and when I found out they’d opened up shop this August, I immediately signed up for a quote.

Insuring my van with Roamly saved me over $250 per month on my campervan insurance.

I am ELATED. Plus, Roamly is even covering the contents both inside and outside my vehicle up to $10,000. I’ve never found another insurance company willing to insure personal items without a separate Personal Articles Insurance policy. I do have a $1,000 deductible for comprehensive or collision claims.

Roamly will also cover my Sprinter van when it’s stored in Yuma, Arizona during the winter months when we are on our sailboat in Mexico. Other insurance companies couldn’t figure out how to insure in both South Dakota and Arizona.

Overall, I’m really happy with the service I’ve received from Roamly so far. They do require an itemized list of the products we’ve put into our van, as well as receipts. They are also asking for the Bill of Sale and a current KBB (Kelly Blue Book) quote.

Our Pick
Roamly Campervan Insurance
  • They insure DIY campervans, custom builds and RVs
  • Provide excellent coverage for your stuff inside the van
  • Also allows you to rent out via apps like Outdoorsy

I hope you have good luck with Roamly!

I am currently using a spreadsheet to keep track of everything I’ve spent on my DIY van conversion. Click below to get it:

Why is it so hard to insure a DIY Campervan?

A self-built Dodge promaster campervan on Outdoorsy
This DIY Dodge Promaster is available for rent on Outdoorsy

It’s way easier to insure a custom or professionally-built camper van than DIY. Vans such as the Storyteller Overland, Winnebago Revel and Sportsmobile are a known entity amongst insurers. They are registered as RVs and follow safety guidelines.

Basically, an insurance company understands the true value of those Class B RVs as it’s listed with the VIN number.

A self-converted van is a totally different animal with lots of unknowns for an insurance company to consider.

Zachary Schneiderman is an agent with Farmer’s Insurance in California and helps people insure professionally-built out vans. He’s now running policies with Roamly and thinks the company is making huge headway in the campervan insurance space.

He tried to explain why it’s so difficult to get insurance on a DIY campervan.

“There’s a lot of concern related to the what modifications may have been made and if those were done taking weight distribution and other safety features into account,” Schneiderman told The Wayward Home.

Campervan conversion companies take on a manufacturer’s liability when they make changes to vehicles and have insurance in place if and when a claim arises related to the modifications they made.”

“DIY owners take that exposure on themselves and therefore don’t leave the insurance carrier with an at-fault party beyond the vehicle owner should a claim arise from the conversion itself.”

So, there are more hurdles you have to jump through to get a DIY campervan insured.

You may have to make a lot of phone calls to a lot of different insurance companies. You’ll most definitely need to be armed with documents, receipts and photos. This is what I did for my insurance policy with Roamly. Click here for a free quote.

What Type of Campervan Insurance Do You Want?

There are a few different ways to insure a campervan, and it depends on the type of build-out you have and how much money you spent on the upfit.

For example: Do you need all your campervan conversion materials covered? How about all the gear you’re storing in your van? What is the value of your campervan conversion that you’re hoping to get covered?

Here are a few different ways to go about it.

Auto Insurance

You could just get regular old auto insurance on a converted campervan. However, this won’t cover any of your build materials or whatever you’re storing in your van, like your fridge, electrical system, solar panels, camera gear, water systems, etc.

My first van is a Chevy Astro, but the value of the van and whatever inside it isn’t very high. I use a basic Geico insurance policy for my van. It’s $50-ish per month and insures the van like it’s a regular vehicle. When the van is in storage, my bill is only $17 per month.

This is a great option if you don’t have tons of build materials and goods inside your van. Plus, car insurance can be easier to get than RV insurance for a campervan.

RV Insurance

If you’ve spent a lot of time and money on your build, whether it’s a professional or a DIY build, you’ll want to get more covered.

This means you’ll need to go for an RV insurance policy or a DIY campervan insurance policy with Roamly. The qualifications to get RV insurance vary by state, but here are a few components you’ll need:

  • A toilet and running water (plumbing)
  • A place to cook and store food
  • A place to sleep
  • Heating

Rules vary by state, so do your research. You can also go to the DMV and register your campervan as an RV, which might help with the underwriting process. I did not register my new Sprinter van as an RV and had no problems at all getting the van and everything we put into it and outside of it covered.

However, many insurance companies don’t require your campervan to be registered as an RV. Again, this varies by state so do your checking.

Stephanie and Nate Yarborough of Explorist.Life decided to go this route.

“When we first bought the van, we had 90 days to register our vehicle and it took us 90 days to build it out,” said Stephanie. “So, by the time we went to register it as a motorhome it was already converted.”

The couple installed running water, residential floors, a refrigerator and a toilet. They also brought the DMV a certified weight slip with the van’s gross weight to the Colorado DMV. The entire process took 2-3 hours.

The couple said their entire van was insured for about $40,000, but this doesn’t cover any of the equipment inside the van. For that, they got a personal articles policy, which we’ll talk about next.

Read the fine print when getting an RV Insurance policy for your campervan. Many of these policies include extras like personal articles insurance, flat tire insurance, travel costs associated with a breakdown, etc.

We’ve also heard that often, RV Insurance policies for a campervan are cheaper than regular auto insurance.

Note: I have heard that it can be hard getting RV insurance if you don’t have another vehicle, or if you live in your vehicle full-time. Definitely something to research and ask insurance agents when you call around.

Personal Articles Insurance

Personal articles insurance covers all the equipment and conversion products inside your van. This can be for bicycles, computers, camera equipment, etc.

According to State Farm, personal articles insurance covers property anywhere you might travel in the world. There is usually no deductible, and the insurance company will pay to repair or replace your items.

This is handy if you’re out on a hike and drop your camera – it will be replaced under this policy. Probably a good one to have if you have expensive personal equipment inside your campervan conversion.

Stephanie and Nate of Explorist.Life also uses a personal articles policy.

“These are all the things in our van that aren’t permanently secured, like our clothes, our computers, all of my husband’s cameras,” said Stephanie. “Some people do this through a renter’s policy, but we don’t rent a house so we wouldn’t get that type of policy. The personal articles policy covers every individual item – we have a list of all our high-dollar equipment.”

I was lucky that Roamly had the option of adding on a personal article insurance clause, and $10,000 worth of gear both inside and outside the van is covered. Click here for a free quote from Roamly on a DIY van.

Best Tips on Getting Campervan Insurance

So, you’re ready to get insurance on your campervan? Here are some things to keep in mind for the best luck at success.

Couple soaks in hot tub near their Dodge Sprinter van, which they got campervan insurance through State Farm

Keep detailed receipts, records and photos for van insurance

If you’re trying to get camper van insurance for a DIY build, you’ll want to keep very detailed records.

This includes receipts, photos, order numbers, associated documents, etc. These help prove the value of your build for insurance underwriting purposes.

Stephanie and Nate of Explorist.Life got their policy through State Farm, which asked for a breakdown of all the expenses to convert the van into an RV.

“They didn’t ask for receipts, but I showed them a detailed spreadsheet of the cost of materials, what exactly we did to the van, and what it looked like in the end,” said Stephanie. “They wanted to see pictures, and that was it.”

I am also required to provide a spreadsheet and receipts for my Roamly insurance plan.

Sign up below to grab a copy of our Campervan Insurance Records Google Sheet Template!

Van Build Expense Spreadsheet

Talk to a local agent for campervan insurance

Many people looking to insure a campervan start out getting a quote online or through a broker on the other end of the main phone number. Then, they walk away disappointed when that particular insurance company turns them down.

Stephanie has had the same insurance company since she was 16-years-old, so she walked into State Farm and spoke directly to her agent.

“I laid out my situation, what I needed, and told my agent I’d be putting a lot of money into building out this vehicle,” said Stephanie. “State Farm helped me out a lot and explained what I’d need to do to insure my campervan.”

If you’re having bad luck calling the main line of an insurance company, look for a local agent. Some of them have had experience insuring DIY campervan and understand the process.

Be prepared to get a different answer within the same company if you call multiple agents. So, if one agent tells you “no”, it’s probably worth it to try another.

PRO TIP: Stephanie’s biggest piece of advice is this: “Be honest with your insurance agent. Not every agent can find a policy that fits your needs, just be honest and up front. If you lie and say it’s a work van, that’s insurance fraud .”

Read your van insurance policy very carefully

Once you lock down campervan insurance, it’s important to read through your policy to make sure you are truly covered. We’ve heard scary examples of van lifers who’ve found words that excluded them from insurance payouts.

These are words like “self-built” or “homemade.”

Know your campervan’s value

It’s important your van and the conversion are valued properly before you sign up with an insurance company.

The value of your van will most likely impact the overall cost of your insurance plan.

Be prepared to call around (a lot)

Don’t get frustrated if the first person you call turns you down. Since there aren’t really any specified insurance policies for self-built vans, some of it depends on luck of the call.

You might reach an agent who’s done this before and is super helpful. Or, you might get on the line with someone who will immediately tell you no.

Don’t be afraid to call multiple companies and multiple agents within the same company.

Be persistent!

Be Honest with Your Insurer

It’s necessary to be honest with your insurance agent when discussing campervan insurance, whether that’s RV coverage or auto insurance.

If you aren’t honest about your modifications, you may have a hard time getting money back in a claim if someone happens to your vehicle.

PRO TIP: Stephanie says: “Not every agent can find a policy that fits your needs, just be honest and upfront. If you lie and say it’s a work van, that’s insurance fraud.”

Consider Full-Timer Liability Coverage

According to Zachary Schneiderman with Farmer’s Insurance, it’s a good idea to add Full-Timer Liability Coverage if you’re living in your campervan.

“This provides liability coverage when the owner is parked and uses their camper as a residence. (example: your dog bites someone),” Schneiderman wrote in an email to The Wayward Home.

Progressive’s website says you can get full-timer liability coverage if you live in your campervan (designated as an RV), for six months out of the year. Here’s a few things you’ll get with Progressive’s full-time coverage:

  • Personal liability: Pays for property damage and injuries you’re responsible for due to an accident while parked.
  • Medical payments: Covers medical expenses for those who are injured while near or in your RV.
  • Loss assessment: Pays for fees charged by an association to cover repairs to common areas or other parts of the property where your RV is parked.

Ask About Roadside Assistance

Some campervan insurance policies offer a roadside assistance add-on. This is something to ask about if you want that type of emergency coverage.

RV Insurance Companies to Try for Camper Van Insurance

If one thing is true about getting insurance for your campervan, is you have to be persistent. We’ve heard stories of some van lifers making tons of phone calls before finding someone to underwrite campervan insurance.

Couple stands on their Dodge Sprinter, which they insured through State Farm
Photo: Explorist.Life

Here are a few places to try:


Roamly is a new insurance company that’s mission is to insure DIY and custom van builds. In the past year, Roamly has expanded exponentially and is now available in these states: OR, CA, AZ, UT, ID, CO, TX, OK, SD, MN, MO, WI, IL, IN, TN, AL, GA, NC, OH and PA.

If you’re in a different state, Roamly writes joint policies with Safeco, Foremost or National General. My contact with Roamly says those three companies won’t insure DIY builds but will insure professional custom builds.

Roamly will be live and in most markets across the U.S. by the end of 2022, so keep checking back to see if your state is covered. This is the plan we are currently using with our Sprinter van camper.

DIY and Pro builds must include one of the following to be insured:

  • Cooking area (include permanent stovetop, i.e. bolted down)
  • Refrigerator (can include bolted-down RV coolers)
  • Bathroom facilities (does not require permanent plumbing)


Foremost is part of Farmers Insurance Group and insures RVs. Farmers Insurance Agent Zachary Schneiderman works with Foremost to insure professionally-built vans.

He did tell The Wayward Home that Foremost will insure a van someone is living in full-time, but they require you have a primary auto for commuting. (tricky if you’re a van lifer!)

Also, your van does NOT necessarily need to be registered as an RV to join, but Scheiderman recommends checking the rules in your state.

State Farm

State Farm is another RV insurance company that some van lifers have luck with. Before I signed up with Roamly, I got an insurance policy with State Farm on my Sprinter van but it was really expensive, about $250 more than my Roamly plan. However, it goes to show they do insure DIY builds.

Betsy Woods with did get her campervan insured successfully with State Farm.

“Long story short, our Sprinter was insured the next day by State Farm as a Class B camper ($414 for a year) with conventional comprehensive coverage and the only thing we had to provide were a couple of photos of the interior and a photo of the outside,” Betsy wrote on The Wandering Woods.

Progressive RV Insurance

Progressive is another insurance option popular among van lifers. Kristen Borr of Bearfoot Theory uses this for her Class B campervan, which you can read about here.

You can sort through a variety of options if you go with Progressive, including coverage for personal items, flat tires and reimbursement for emergency expenses.

The company recommends knowing your RVs value before getting coverage. You can use and to do this.

We aren’t sure if Progressive will cover a self-built van. Some van lifers claim they’ll only convert a professionally-built van. Worth a try, though!

Good Sam RV Insurance

When I asked the Insurance Information Institute about insuring campervans, their rep told me Good Sam is the main insurance company which insures vehicles people live in.

On its website, Good Sam Insurance Agency says it knows your motorhome is your primary residence, and works with you to craft the best plan.

However, this is really only for people who have professionally-built RVs, like if you have a Winnebago or Storyteller Overland van.

HUGE CAVEAT: Many van lifers report Good Sam WILL NOT INSURE self-built campervans, only RVs.

But if you have a Class B RV, you may want to call Good Sam for a quote, especially if you live in your RV full-time.

Here’s some of what you’ll get with State Farm – this information taken directly from the website:

  • Personal Liability for Full Timers – This is similar to vacation liability and pays for injuries that happen around your RV or on your property.
  • Medical Payments to Others – Covers the costs of medical expenses incurred by those who are injured while visiting your RV and/or the property around it.
  • Personal Belongings Coverage – As a full-timer, we know you’re carrying most of your possessions with you. We offer up to $3,000 of full replacement cost coverage at no extra cost to you.
  • Emergency Expense Allowance – The Good Sam Insurance Agency covers the costs of food and lodging if you’re ever involved in a covered claim more than 100 miles from home.

Again, this isn’t a good option if you have a self-built campervan.

Conclusion on DIY Campervan Insurance

The key takeaway is this: it is possible to get insurance for your DIY campervan. We had great success recently with Roamly, which insures both DIY and custom conversions. Click here for a free quote with Roamly.

If you want to register your campervan as an RV, you’ll need to make sure it qualifies as a motorhome. You’ll need things like a toilet, bed, interior stove and interior plumbing.

If you can’t get RV insurance, you can go with a regular auto insurance policy and also get a personal articles policy to insure your van’s contents.

It can really hard to find a company that will insure a self-built van. Make sure you call around, keep documentation (including photos and receipts), and know your vehicle’s value and gross weight.

In the comments below, let me know what works for you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Larry Jensen says:

    Good Sam does not insure Self Build RV’s under any circumstances.
    I know, I tried.

    There are insurers out there that will.

    1. I just found that out too! We bought a Mercedes sprinter cargo van and spent $85k customizing it and now I can’t find a company to insure it! So frustrating! Any suggestions? I’ve had 4 companies turn me down all for different reasons.

      1. Same experience here. Called over 50 companies and they all just try selling me a progressive policy, but progressive won’t do it. Why does your company even exist if you just sell people someone elses product like that?

      2. Any luck on getting your conversion covered?

        Who with?


  2. Pingback: DIY campervan: Tips from the experts on building a van in 2019
  3. Pingback: 3 Most Important Costs of Living in a Van - #vanlifetips
  4. Pingback: 3 Most Important Costs of Living in a Van -
  5. Thank you so much, this was so helpful as we are building ours out right now!

    Be well,

    1. I’m so glad you found it helpful!

  6. wildcatknitter says:

    Larry Jensen is right: I just spoke with Good Sam, and they don’t handle insurance for converted vans, just RVs that were built for living in. Also, a State Farm agent told me today, basically, “We might be able to work with you if you already had a State Farm policy, but we don’t ensure converted vans,” basically what the State Farm agent told you. Most agencies I’ve talked to who didn’t blow me off almost immediately use Progressive for RV insurance, and Progressive doesn’t insure converted vans.

    So, Mr. Jensen, if you know who are those other insurers out there who will insure a converted van, please let us know. I was excited with the prospect of van life, but now I’m about to decide against it because I can’t find anyone who will insure the van if I’m living in it.

    1. I had the same experience calling over 50 companies who do insurance. What is the point of having a company that sells insurance if you are just selling me a different product? Really frustrating and stupid. Someone should make a company for insuring van conversions! The demand is definitely there.

  7. Kevin Mathers says:

    Thanks for the tips Kristen. Any thoughts with health insurance when you first moved out on the road? I know not directly related to this post, but close!

    My wife and I are looking to escape the 9-5 soon and looking for health insurance options while on the road!

      1. Kevin Mathers says:

        Perfect thank you so much!

  8. insure my vehicle says:

    Admiring the persistence you put into your site and in depth information you
    provide. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Fantastic read!
    I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

    1. Kristin Hanes says:

      Thank you so much! That’s very nice to hear 🙂

  9. I have my van insured with “agreed upon value” (I think that is what they call it) with Liberty Mutual. It is pretty expensive. Hope that helps.

    1. Liberty Mutual – do not cover Mercedes Sprinter Camper van conversions under any circumstances. Sooooo.

      Another one of these broker deals. Maybe they pushed it through type policies. I doubt the cover will come through in the event of a total loss claim.

  10. 2018 Sprinter Van conversion.

    No Luck getting cover for my conversion,

    I am only using it for occasional travel. Not living in it.
    Tried loads of companies. Geico/ Good Sam RV / Progressive RV / Liberty Mutual.

    Any one got a recommendation for a company where they actually disclosed the self build conversion?

    Thank you


  11. Geoffrey Lyford says:

    RV Direct Insurance in Alberta Canada has indicated they will insure a converted Sprinter Van with an appraisal if used for full time living with All Perils in the range of $1500-1700. Sandra Abercrombie of RV Direct Insurance understood exactly what I was talking about. The actual valuation may involve some negotiation at that point.

    The problem being solved at this moment for my wife and I with our new van is to obtain the insurance to go pick up the 2015 Sprinter cargo van and then to have insurance during the conversion. Two companies have NOT said no, but the premiums seem high so waiting for confirmation and coverage details. One broker indicates there would be a mechanical inspection required as well upon conversion, and so far not offering collision and comprehensive. A mechanical inspection would be reasonable in my view for a self-conversion.

    I recommend staying within the GAWR or axle limits for the front and rear axles during the build. This is a liability insurers would not accept if there were to be an accident, in which case the insurance would not be covering the insured, according to Stanley, vice president of Quigley 4×4 Conversions in Pennsylvania, who provide suspensions for various 4 x 4 vans converted by commercial conversion companies.

    He said some companies are too heavy and cannot use the 4 x 4 conversion from Quigley. I found the engineering of conversions to be interesting topic and Stanley had an in depth discussion to offer. He warned against not considering GAWR and engineering calculations during the build – mainly because of the weight added and its effect on the handling of the vehicle and subsequent liability for exceeding the front axle weight with shifting of weight during stops and with degradation of vehicle handling, especially in an emergency. My takeaway is to go light, and he indicated what could go in and what could not go in for features affecting weight, but engineering is another discussion.

  12. So glad to read this post to see we are not alone. It never occurred to me that we might not be able to get our new Ram ProMaster insured and we’re picking it up in the morning! I called Progressive today – we have our cars and home owners insurance bundled thru them. Nope, was told they won’t insure cargo vans, even for personal use. I’ve been calling around frantically and found insurance thru AARP Hartford at a pretty high. We’re going to keep researching our options for when the conversion is complete.

  13. Larry Jensen says:

    I found a broker who was very interested in helping me once I have it converted and a special department at Geico

    RV Insurance

Daughert and Associate
(605) 361-6318
Miller Insurance 

    Kyle Skoney | Specialty Vehicle Department
    GEICO Insurance Agency
    Phone: 855-836-9121 

    1. Diana Allen says:

      Thank you so much!!!

    2. john & toni says:

      That’s interesting Larry, I literally just got off the phone with the specialty vehicle dept at Geico and they told me that was something they were working on but were currently unable to provide. Think I’ll try your guy. A different broker today told me to check with the state insurance pool, I’m not sure how it works but they apparently are able to help you find insurance in difficult situations. Our problem is exacerbated by the fact that we also have a reconstructed title. Who Knew???

      1. Diana Allen says:

        We finally got coverage through State Farm! Geico turned us down as well.

  14. You have to update this article a little. Just wasted a bunch of time talking to Good Sam and they don’t cover self converted vans. Frustrating!

    1. Kristin Hanes says:

      Thank you for posting this and letting me kmomw!! I will look into this and update the article this week.

      1. Thank you for bird dogging this topic!
        I appreciate the replies and information given. I’m curious to know what premium is considered “high” /prohibitive.
        Thank you for any updates that may be given.

  15. Kevin Connolly says:

    Very helpful, thanks! Does anyone know if it makes a difference in terms of getting insurance if 1. the sprinter van is converted by Sportsmobile (not a self conversion)and 2. you get a “MSO- Manufacturer Statement of Origin’ from the converter (in this case SMB- sportsmobile). And lastly, I live in Massachusetts and can’t even find on the RMV website what the criterion for a Motorhome. Good luck everyone!

  16. Seth Glassman says:

    Just finished my DIY camper van build after 3 years. Armed with all the insurance information and photos I needed to insure my DIY campervan, I walked into my local State Farm agent to inquire about RV insurance for my now converted campervan from a 1999 E-150 Conversion Van. The State Farm agent (in Tennessee) clled her Underwriting Dept. because she didn’t know if it should be weitten as a modified Cargo van or an RV. After informing her that the van had all the necessary things for sleeping, cooking, refrigeration running water , electric and solar, the underwriter asked the agent if I was a licensed electrician and plumber as that would be what was required for the plumbing and electrical work in order for State Farm would know what they were insuring. When I told them I was not licensed in either, I was told I could submit an application with photos but its likely I would be rejected.

    1. Cary Pilon, P.E. says:

      Licensed plumbers and electrician only for residential and commercial structures. I think they were dodging you. Ask for the regulations requiring such. They don’t exist.

  17. This information is worrisome.
    Most of you are insuring newer vehicles and want Comprehensive or Collision for your vehicle, right? And are having a heck of a time getting it. Okay. So I’ve been planning on building out an older cargo van, and here in Florida I won’t have to have Comprehensive or Collision, but I must have Liability and PIP, I would also like to get my personal articles(Solar system, laptop, etc) covered minus the van itself. This might be a stupid question, but would an insurance company deny me insurance if the vehicle itself was not covered? Anyone try to only get Liability, PIP/Medical Payments Coverage, and maybe Uninsured/Underinsured and were denied?

  18. Grayson Thomas says:

    Looking for insurance for my self converted Transit. I got a state farm quote for $880 for 6 months! i read that most class b campers are closer to half of that. People who got insurance how much are you paying?

  19. I have not yet found a perfect solution myself. But I did find a few options. I am building a Ram Promaster. I checked with 3 companies and talked to local agents. All 3 asked me the value. I purchased the vehicle for $47k and have spent $25k on conversion. So all three are quoting it as a $72k vehicle. State Farm was the highest at about $2,400/yr. Auto Owners insurance was second highest at just under $2400/yr. Foremost Insurance (never heard of before) was the cheapest at just around $1500/yr. I dont know anything about Foremost but after some research it appears they are part of Farmers Insurance Group. My advice would be to speak with local agents. Make sure you know how the payout will work in a total loss situation. Some of them will give you depreciated price of the van and your upgrades. Some will give you market value. I will report back if I find something better.

  20. Zachary Schneiderman says:

    I’m a Farmers Insurance agent in California and have been writing van conversions “camper vans” with Foremost. They have to be professionally converted and in most cases photos, and invoices have to be provided for underwriting to review, but they do write van conversions. We work with a lot of Recon Campers clients and have been able to help them secure coverage including the value of their upfits.

    1. Stephen Marden says:

      Can I call you? Im in HB California and converted my e250 ford van….all done correctly and professionally.

      Need to change my insurance

    2. Ivy Weiskopf says:

      So does anyone cover DIY conversions? I’m running in circles (like most people here).
      Seems you have to throw enough darts and hope one sticks?

  21. Leslie Andrews says:

    We had declared value or actual cash value (which ever is less) insurance with Progressive for our camper van. When the van was stolen we started fighting with them about the actual cash value. It has been 4 months now. On our $40,000 van they have gone from $8500 to $20,000 to $32,000. We had it privately appraised and from our records the appraiser came in with a value of $59,000. Progressive now says they’re having their appraiser talk to our appraiser. Still no settlement.
    I strongly recommend if you go with progressive that you get it appraised on the way in and make sure that they agree with the value of the van.

  22. Russ Mease says:

    I just talked to Roamly (I live in Oregon) and they are still working on setting up their own policies in this state. The quote they sent me was for all the standard coverage of an unconverted Sprinter van (mine is a 2020 2500 4×4 high roof) plus ONLY $5000 for “added equipment”, and the premiums were more than double what I am currently paying through Geico that I signed up for when I drove the van off the dealer lot. I am talking with State Farm since some have had luck with them, but I am expecting the worst (either very high premiums or won’t cover the full value). I’ll update this when I get more information.

    Thanks for the very thorough article.

    1. Kristin Hanes says:

      Hey Russ! Thanks for the update! Keep us posted!

  23. Shirley Hughey says:

    Hi and thanks for all the comments, they help. My van is not paid off so how do I get the pink slip to take to DMV? I want to change the classification from a commercial van to an auto van camper.. In your aricle it said to get the lien holder to mail a copy of the pink slip to DMV but where fo they mail it? A specific office or DMV in general?? Thanks for your help.

  24. Followed your recommendation for Roamly and there’s no options for custom or RV conversions, so I called and they said the do not do custom/conversions.

    1. Correction: I Followed your recommendation for Roamly and there’s no options for custom or RV conversions on the website, so I called and they said the do not do custom/conversions.

      1. Kristin Hanes says:

        Hey there! I am going through the process of getting insurance on my DIY Sprinter van right now – they definitely do DIY or custom conversions but you have to be located in a state where they operate. As of right now those states are: OR, CA, AZ, UT, ID, CO, TX, OK, SD, MN, MO, WI, IL, IN, TN, AL, GA, NC, OH and PA.

  25. Zachary Tomlinson says:

    Thanks for elaborating on how vehicle insurance can help you financially during emergencies or disasters. My friend is interested in helping his uncle travel the country during his retirement. I think this information is essential for unforeseen accidents that may happen during his travels.

Similar Posts